Smithsonian Magazine Photo Competition 2016
$4000 in cash prizes
- Deadline: 30 November 2016
- Entry fee: Free
- Website: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/photocontest/
Smithsonian Magazine 14th Annual Photo competition is open for submission. You win multiple awards including cash prizes. Contest offers six categories for entry.
The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
1. Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
2. Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
3. People: Individuals from all walks of life.
4. The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
5. Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
6. Mobile: The Smithsonian will award a prize to the best photograph submitted in any of the other categories that was taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Grand Prize winner: $2,500
Category winners: $500
Readers' Choice winner: $500
Mobile Photography winner: $500
United EcoSkies Sustainable Travel Leadership Award: Two economy round-trip tickets for travel between United States, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America.
The Grand Prize, Readers’ Choice prize, Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience and Mobile category prizes are open to photographers who are 18 years old or older. The Sustainable Travel category prize, made possible through the support of United Eco-Skies, is restricted to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Colombia. Individuals affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, including employees, emeriti, Regents, trustees, interns, volunteers, fellows, research associates and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses), and employees of United Airlines, Inc. (Sponsor), its parent or affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children), and others living in their households are not eligible for any prize. The Smithsonian will determine winners’ eligibility in its sole discretion.
Copyrights & Usage Rights:
You retain your rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, you grant the Smithsonian Institution (and those authorized by the Smithsonian) a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any Smithsonian Institution purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the magazine and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to Smithsonian Institution publications. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The Smithsonian Institution will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.