CAP Prize 2019 | Winners announced!
13 June 2019
The five winners of the 8th Contemporary African Photography Prize – CAP Prize were announced at photo basel international art fair on 12 June 2019 at 5pm. The winners are:
– Jodi Bieber, South Africa
– Sanne de Wilde & Benedicte Kurzen, Netherlands & Nigeria
– Thembinkosi Hlatshwayo, South Africa
– Abdo Shanan, Algeria
– Jansen van Staden, South Africa
The CAP Prize is an exposure award and is directed at photographers whose work engages with the African continent or its diaspora. It consists of a series of exhibitions produced in collaboration with major photography festivals in Africa and the rest of the world.
The CAP Prize aims to raise the profile of African photography within the arts. Each year five winners are selected by an internationally sourced panel of judges, enabling the promotion of African photography worldwide. The CAP Prize is open to artists of any age and descent. Submitted photographic series must consist of a minimum of 10 to 25 images. There is no entry fee.
1. Jodi Bieber – Born in 1966 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Lives Johannesburg, South Africa
2. SANNE DE WILDE – Born in 1987 in Antwerpen, Belgium. Lives in Amsterdam, The Netherlands & BÉNÉDICTE KURZEN – Born in 1980 in Lyon, France. Lives in lagos, Nigeria
3. THEMBINKOSI HLATSHWAYO – Born in 1993 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Lives in Johannesburg, South Africa
4. Abdo Shanan – Born in 1982 in Oran, Algeria. Lives in Algiers, Algeria
5. Jansen van Staden – Born in 1986 in Potchefstroom, South Africa. Lives in Cape Town, South Africa