BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition 2020
$5,000 in cash
Photographers must enter each image in one of the below categories. The same photo cannot be entered in more than one category. Judges reserve the right to switch images to other more appropriate categories.
1. Terrestrial Wildlife: Animals photographed anywhere in the world. Images may include land-based mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and non-flying insects whether they live in trees or on land.
2. Winged Life: Birds or flying insects photographed anywhere in the world, in flight, perched, or in action. This category includes flightless birds such as penguins and ostriches.
3. Landscapes, Waterscapes & Flora: Captivating images of wild places with a unique perspective, from expansive landscape vistas of forests, deserts and mountains to the micro habitats of plants and other flora. Images may include water environments of oceans, lakes and rivers with images taken above or under water including waves, tide pools and other water scenes.
4. Aquatic Life: Marine animals including mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates that spend the majority of their time in water.
5. Art of Nature: Abstract expressions of nature and/or science. Life photographed out in nature or under the microscope. Images may include unusual close ups, angles, patterns, motion, or perspectives, black and white photography and images created using scientific imaging tools. Artistic effects should not be the result of digital manipulations.
6. Human/Nature: Images that depict the efforts of scientists, conservationists, and others working to sustain life on our planet, or the complex relationships between human and nature. Images should illustrate the impacts of humans on the environment and can be either positive or negative impact stories.
One Grand Prize, 7 First Place prizes, and Certificates of Recognition will be awarded for up to 6 finalists in each category listed above, with the exception of the Photo Series category. In the Photo Series category, there will be one First Place awarded. Prizes are made possible by the entry fee; no Academy funds are used for these prizes.
All winning and finalist images will appear on the Academy website and at www.bigpicturecompetition.org. All Entrants agree that, if their entry is awarded, they will participate in related publicity and agree to the use of their name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the BPPC and Exhibition without additional compensation.
The Grand Prize winner will receive $5,000 in cash.
The first place winners of the seven categories will each receive $1,000 in cash.
BPPC is open to all photographers
Copyrights & Usage Rights:
Entrants’ submissions must not infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person and Entrants must not submit images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife or damage to the environment by the photographer.